Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April Recipe: Ham, Swiss and Spinach Quiche

So here we are again, another month and another new recipe.  April somehow got away from me and all of a sudden the end of the month is this weekend and I will be out of town.  I had a moment of stress in thinking that I might not meet my new recipe a month goal.  Then our dear friends had a new baby, I signed up to bring them dinner and I thought this will just have to be the night I try out something new.  Sometimes, as much as I love looking at cookbooks unless they have a beautiful picture to follow I have a hard time finding inspiration. I think cause I also waited till the last minute to find a recipe I struggled this month with inspiration.  My Dad gave me the idea to try doing a quiche.  Don't get me wrong I love a quiche, but the idea of making something to bring a friend for dinner that I had never made before and has the potential of not setting seamed kind of scary to me! Well thank my lucky stars it was AMAZING! I may come off as biased because I made it, but seriously it was the best quiche I have ever had!  I had it for dinner last night and breakfast this morning. Serve with a lightly dresses salad of mixed greens for lunch or dinner, or with coffee or tea for breakfast.  I can't wait to make this recipe for years to come and try different variations on fillings.  Hope you enjoy!

Recipe via myrecipes.com

Ingredients:
3 cups packed baby spinach
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 9-inch frozen pie crust
1/4 pound sliced ham, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese

Preparation:

Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, place it in oven and preheat to 375'F. Mist a medium skillet with cooking spray and warm it over medium heat. Cook spinach, stirring often, until wilted. Remove spinach to a paper-towel lined plate and pat dry.

Combine eggs, half and half and salt in a large bowl and whisk until well mixed. Arrange spinach on bottom of pie crust. Scatter ham over spinach, and then the cheese over the ham. Pour egg mixture into shell.

Place quiche on baking sheet and bake until filling is set and crust is golden, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, slice into wedges, and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...