I had seen this recipe a few weeks back on the lovely blog of The Mexicali Rose and I had been dying to make it! And let me just tell you it is everything I wanted it to be and more. And really, who doesn't love blueberries and lemon! Can't wait to make this for a coffee date with friends, or just because (it's that good)!
what you need:
1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice from 4 lemons
3/4 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
6 ounces blueberries
what to do:
1. preheat oven to 350. Butter a 5-by-9 loaf pan (that's what i used, but i'm sure you can use another type of pan as well, although baking time may vary.)
2. combine heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a bowl. whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in another bowl.
3. beat butter, lemon zest, and 1 cup sugar with a mixer on medium speed until it's all pale and fluffy. then reduce speed to low and add your eggs. 1 at a time, beating well after you add each. beat in flower mixture in three additions, switching to cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour( so, flour, cream, flour, cream, flour). you then gently fold in the blueberries using a spatula.
5. pour batter into your pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
6. combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup of lemon juice
7. transfer pan to a wire rack and brush the top of the cake with lemon syrup. let it stand for 15 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and brush all over with remaining syrup. then let it cool completely on wire rack.