Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My new old table

We have lived in our place now for almost 4 years.  Being the fickle creative person I am, that and the fact that I know we will stay here for at least a few more years, I wanted to freshen up our place and give it a bit of a face lift.  I have this old table in our entry way that actually use to be my Mom's vanity table when she was a teenager.  I had painted it years ago and had fallen very out of love with it.  I felt like it was this dark thing in the corner.  One day I was browsing online and I had two moments of inspiration that inspired the revival of this old sad table.  The first was this beautiful knob I saw at Anthropologie, and the second was a picture of a yellow table I had seen on some design blog (of course I don't remember which one). So that was it.  I went to Home Depot and picked out my paint, borrowed a sander from my Dad, and listened to the new Cold War Kids album on repeat.  3 days later I had a beautiful new old table to brighten up the room.  I am so happy with how it came out and I now have the bug to repaint a few more pieces.  Here are a few pictures from my project.
My picture inspiration and paint samples

The knob that inspired the project

The original table



My supplies

The color is Nutmeg by Martha Stewart Living

I loved this yellow color.  It is Solar Fusion by Behr

Watching me paint


I did 1 coat of the brown and 2 coats of the yellow

Ready to start sanding



This hand sander is awesome for small projects.  


The finished table! Not the best picture of it but this will have to do.  I love the yellow and how it just brightened up this wall! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kara,
    I was going to wish Brad a happy birthday when I got sidetracked with you website and the story about the old vanity table.
    Your mom and I sat at that table for many years looking into the looking glass.
    I really liked what you did with it the first time and now with the antiqued/distressed (I think that's what it's called) look. Wow!
    I'm so glad it found a home with you and that you have enjoyed and treasured it.
    Love,
    Ri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ri, I love that table so much and am so glad it has a new life in my house! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...