Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tomato, Watermelon, and Basil Salad

We had our friends the Snelson's over for dinner last night and I was making Yellow Chicken Curry (one of my favorites) and I wanted something nice and light for a side dish/salad.  I had seen this recipe in one of Giada's cookbooks a while back and it was on my list of things to try.  The recipe calls to make it on skewers (which would be great for a party) but I wanted it in salad form.  To be honest I kind of just eyeballed the recipe and I also used tri colored cherry tomatoes  and added  large basil leaves instead of small ones. Whatever you choose to do it comes out AMAZING! The flavors are so perfect together and I thought a great accompaniment to the spicy yellow curry. A must try if you have never had before, can't wait to make this one again and again.

Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis' New Italian Favorites cookbook 
Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 (4 to 5 pound) watermelon, cut into 32 (1 1/2-inch cubes
  • 32 small basil leaves (or torn larger leaves)
  • 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Special equipment: 16 (6-inch) skewers

Directions

Combine the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
Starting with the watermelon squares, push the watermelon to the very tip of the skewer. Then skewer a basil leaf, then a tomato half. Continue with another watermelon, basil leaf, and tomato half. Place the skewer on a serving platter so it stands upright, using the lowest watermelon square as a base. Continue with the remaining skewers.
Drizzle the skewers with the reserved balsamic syrup and the olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve.
This recipe is for the skewers but can be made the same by just putting everything together in one bowl. 
Here's a picture of the curry we had.  Definitely not traditional with the zucchinis and squash but I created it after a curry I had had in Portland.  I love the texture of all of the vegis and it could be made without the chicken for a vegetarian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...